Yb:YAG is one of the most promising laser-active materials and more suitable for diode-pumping than the traditional Nd-doped systems. Compared with the commonly used Nd:YAG crystal, Yb:YAG crystal has a much larger absorption bandwidth to reduce thermal management requirements for diode lasers, a longer upper-laser level lifetime, three to four times lower thermal loading per unit pump power. Yb:YAG crystal at 1030nm is a good substitute for a Nd:YAG crystal at 1064nm and its second harmonic at 515nm may replace Ar-ion laser (with a large volume), which emit at 514nm.
Advantages of Yb:YAG Crystal：
• Very low fractional heating, less than 11%;
• Very high slope efficiency;
• Broad absorption bands, about 8nm @940nm;
• No excited-state absorption or up-conversion;
• Conveniently pumped by reliable InGaAs diodes at 940nm(or 970nm);
• High thermal conductivity and large mechanical strength;
• High optical quality.
Table 1. Material and Specifications
Yb: 5~15 at%
Upon request of customer
Diameter:+0.00“/-0.002”mm, Length: ± 0.02"
Ground Finish: 400# Grit
0.006"±0.002" at 45°± 5°
AR Coating Reflectivity
≤ 0.25% (@1030nm)
Single pass loss
Table 2. Optical and Spectral Properties of Yb:YAG Crystal
2 F 5/2→2 F 7/2
Emission Cross Section
Diode Pump Band
940nm or 970nm
Pump Absorption Band Width
Index of Refraction
Thermal Optical Coefficient
Dear visitors! Please submit your feedback information!